from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Turbocharger.
- n. Turbojet.
- n. turban shell
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous marine gastropods of the genus Turbo or family Turbinidæ, usually having a turbinate shell, pearly on the inside, and a calcareous operculum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A prefix (turbo-), used in composition to designate a machine in which the motive energy is derived from a steam turbine either directly connected, or on the same revolving shaft as the element designated by the other word of the compound: as, a turbo-alternater, an alternating-current dynamo the armature of which is the prolongation of the axis of the steam turbine; a turbo-generator, a dynamo either for direct or alternating current, similarly directly driven. See cut at Curtis steam turbine.
- n. As a substantive: A pump or ventilator in which the impeller revolves as a turbine, or as a top, and drives the fluid which it is to displace by a centrifugal or rotary action.
- n. A direct-connected turbine-driven generator; an abbreviation of turbo-dynamo.
- n. The typical genus of the family Turbinidæ, formerly very extensive, now restricted to species with a regularly turbinated shell, rounded aperture, smooth beveled columellar lip, and a calcareous operculum with a central or subcentral nucleus.
- n. A shell of this genus.
In converting 32 of his career 37 third-down receptions into first downs, Avant has dutifully paid what he calls a turbo tax.
GA DNR searched for the bear but I guess the close call sent the bear back to the mountains in turbo gear!
(The non-turbo is a little underpowered, apparently)
Its modern, turbocharged four-cylinder engine has an annoying, old-fashioned problem called turbo lag.
The pair continued to be consistently quick as the McLaren, with its TAG turbo engine, won six races in 1985.
There was a bit of turbo lag, but the turbo is a good match for this 3,200-plus model.
Not THAT Matt 9: 58PM (4/06/2010) @ Lar7789789: the turbo is a 4L straight 6, quoted as putting out 270kW
They will install devices called turbo expanders that generate electricity as the gas pressure is reduced.
A revised exhaust system provides a 30 percent improvement in gas flow to deal with the increased boost and engine power, and a key ingredient is the addition of a bigger turbo, which is now the same size as that of the STI.
Also worth a mention was the performance by another AC Schnitzer car, the ACS4 3.5 turbo, which is based on the BMW Z4 sdrive 35i roadster.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.