from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that steps, especially in a fast or spirited manner.
- n. Informal A dancer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dancer.
- n. A person or animal that steps energetically or high.
- n. A kind of electric motor (a stepper motor) that advances in steps rather than smoothly.
- n. A device used in the manufacture of microcircuits to apply a photolithographic image repeatedly, at regular intervals (by imaging, moving a step and repeating).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, steps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which steps (with a certain gait or carriage expressed or implied); specifically, a fast horse: often in composition: as, a high-stepper; that horse in a good stepper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a horse trained to lift its feet high off the ground while walking or trotting
- n. a motor (especially an electric motor) that moves or rotates in small discrete steps
- n. a professional dancer
Sorry, no etymologies found.