from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that speeds, especially a driver who exceeds a legal or safe speed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who speeds, or exceeds the maximum legal speed limit.
- n. A machine for drawing and twisting slivers to form rovings, in spinning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, speeds.
- n. A machine for drawing and twisting slivers to form rovings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who makes speed; one who advances rapidly, or who gains success.
- n. One who or that which moves with great swiftness, as a horse.
- n. One who or something which promotes speed; specifically, some mechanical contrivance for quickening speed of motion or operation; any speeding device in a machine, as a pair of speed-cones or cone-pulleys. See speed-multiplier.
- n. In cotton manufacturing, a machine which takes the place of the bobbin and fly-frame, receiving the slivers from the carders, and twisting them into rovings.
- n. A regulator or governor for controlling the revolutions of a machine, such as an electric motor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a driver who exceeds the safe speed limit
Sorry, no etymologies found.