from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The wife or widow of a king.
- n. A woman sovereign.
- n. Something having eminence or supremacy in a given domain and personified as a woman: Paris is regarded as the queen of cities.
- n. Games The most powerful chess piece, able to move in any direction over any number of empty squares in a straight line.
- n. Games A playing card bearing the figure of a queen, ranking above the jack and below the king.
- n. The fertile, fully developed female in a colony of social bees, ants, or termites.
- n. A mature female cat, especially one kept for breeding purposes.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.
- transitive v. To make (a woman) a queen.
- transitive v. Games To raise (a pawn) to queen in chess.
- intransitive v. Games To become a queen in chess.
- idiom queen it To act like a queen; domineer: queens it over the whole family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female monarch. Example: Queen Victoria
- n. The wife or widow of a king. Example: Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
- n. The most powerful piece, able to move any number of spaces horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
- n. A playing card with the picture of a queen on its face, the twelfth card in a given suit.
- n. A powerful or forceful female person.
- n. An effeminate male homosexual. See drag queen.
- n. A reproductive female animal in a hive, such as an ant, bee, termite or wasp.
- n. An adult female cat valued for breeding. See tom.
- v. to make a queen
- v. to promote a pawn, usually to a queen.
- v. To sit on the face of (a partner) to receive oral sex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The wife of a king.
- n. A woman who is the sovereign of a kingdom; a female monarch
- n. A woman eminent in power or attractions; the highest of her kind
- n. The fertile, or fully developed, female of social bees, ants, and termites.
- n. The most powerful, and except the king the most important, piece in a set of chessmen.
- n. A playing card bearing the picture of a queen.
- intransitive v. To act the part of a queen.
- intransitive v. To make a queen (or other piece, at the player's discretion) of by moving it to the eighth row.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The consort of a king.
- n. A woman who is the sovereign of a realm; a female sovereign.
- n. Figuratively, a woman who is chief or preeminent among others; one who presides: as, queen of beauty; queen of the May (see Mayqueen).
- n. Hence, anything personified as chief or greatest, when considered as possessing female attributes.
- n. In entomology, a queen bee or queen ant.
- n. A playing-card on which a queen is depicted.
- n. In chess, the piece which is by far the most powerful of all for attack. See chess. Abbreviated Q.
- n. A variety of roofing-slate, measuring 3 feet long and 2 feet wide. Compare duchess, 2.
- n. Among Roman Catholics, a title given to the Virgin Mary.
- To play the queen; act the part or character of a queen; domineer: with an indefinite it.
- In chess, to make a queen of: said of a pawn on its reaching the eighth square.
- In apiculture, to supply with a queen; introduce a queen to: said of a colony of bees.
- n. Same as quin.
- n. Same as queen-wasp.
- n. A female eat. In modern catteries the name is given only to female cats used for careful and scientific breeding. Also called queen-cat.
- n. The female of a termite or white ant. See king, 6.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a competitor who holds a preeminent position
- n. one of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a queen
- n. offensive term for an openly homosexual man
- v. become a queen
- n. something personified as a woman who is considered the best or most important of her kind
- n. (chess) the most powerful piece
- n. a female sovereign ruler
- n. the only fertile female in a colony of social insects such as bees and ants and termites; its function is to lay eggs
- n. female cat
- n. the wife or widow of a king
- n. an especially large mole rat and the only member of a colony of naked mole rats to bear offspring which are sired by only a few males
- v. promote to a queen, as of a pawn in chess
Middle English quene, from Old English cwēn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English queen, quene, cwen, from Old English cwēn, cwǣn ("woman; wife, consort; queen, empress, royal princess"), from Proto-Germanic *kwēniz (“woman”), from Proto-Indo-European *gʷḗn (“woman”). Cognate with Scots queen, wheen ("queen"), Old Saxon quān ("wife"; > Middle Low German quene ("elderly woman")), Norwegian dialectal kvån ("wife"), Icelandic kvon ("wife"), Gothic 𐌵𐌴𐌽𐍃 (qēns, "wife"). Related to Old English cwene ("woman; female serf, quean, prostitute"), see quean. (Wiktionary)