from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
- n. Usage Problem A homosexual person; a gay man or a lesbian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Sexually attracted primarily to other members of the same sex. Either a male androphile or a female gynephile. Sometimes used in the sense of sole/exclusive attraction.
- adj. Pertaining to homosexuality, as a relationship, an attraction, a desire, etc.
- adj. Intended for or used by homosexuals, as a nightclub, a bar, etc.
- n. A person who is attracted solely or primarily to others of the same sex.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the same sex or to individuals of the same sex.
- Relating to homosexuality.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex
- adj. sexually attracted to members of your own sex
Any person considering making a valid challenge on these grounds would look up the actual study and learn how the term homosexual was defined in the cited study.
As I don't regularly hang around the gay community I also didn't realize that the term homosexual is now a perjorative description.
When you look at the case he's really suing because the term homosexual is listed as a sin.
Some people reject the term homosexual as an identity-label because they find it too clinical-sounding.
I prefer the term homosexual as the more neutral term, which suggests neither acceptance nor condemnation of homosexuality.
Put aside for a moment that the term homosexual as a noun is unacceptable, but "practicing"?
The concept and even the term homosexual did not exist in biblical days and all references to being homosexual and gay were added in editions translated originally from Greek.
The term homosexual does not distinguish between male and female homosexuals.
Obviously, Average Joe hasn't heard of the term "homophile," and he probably uses the term "homosexual," indicating that the movement failed in the respect.
"I had never heard the word homosexual until college," he said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.