from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Popularly; widely: generally known.
- adv. As a rule; usually: The child generally has little to say.
- adv. For the most part: a generally boring speech.
- adv. Without reference to particular instances or details; not specifically: generally speaking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Popularly or widely.
- adv. As a rule; usually.
- adv. Without reference to specific details.
- adv. collectively; as a whole; without omissions
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In general; commonly; extensively, though not universally; most frequently.
- adv. In a general way, or in general relation; in the main; upon the whole; comprehensively.
- adv. Collectively; as a whole; without omissions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a general or universal manner; with respect to all the individuals of a class.
- All taken together; collectively; in a body.
- In general; commonly though not universally; most frequently; in most cases.
- In the main; without detail; upon the whole.
- Synonyms Usually, ordinarily, mainly, principally, chiefly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. without regard to specific details or exceptions
- adv. usually; as a rule
- adv. without distinction of one from others
The term generally refers to loans given to borrowers with weak credit.
As you can see, the term generally gets us somewhere between a man and a sandwich!
Thats a matter of definition, but as the term generally is defined in France, no.
Criteria are confusing, but the term generally refers to learning problems in which the defining characteristic is the failure to learn, in spite of average or better intelligence, and in the absence of such primary contributing factors as emotional disorders, sensory impairment and gross neurological dysfunction.
But while familiar brands like Coors' "Silver Bullet" and Bud may still dominate refrigerators and football commercials, craft beers a term generally tied to a brewery's modest size, traditional methods and independent ownership are steadily boosting their market share.
Medium format is a term generally associated with film cameras, though digital medium format models do exist other than Samsung's prototype.
Fifty years later, University of Florida researchers began developing Florida-friendly varieties of highbush berries, the term generally used for cultivated blueberries.
The term generally describes politically motivated killings of public officials while the law of war limits targeting to those with military roles, even if they are civilians.
"Recordation is a term generally used in the context of Historic American Building Surveys or Historic American Engineering Records," NASA's federal preservation officer Jennifer Groman told collectSPACE in an e-mail.
Consider that, by the end of this period, the word generally used to say “you” was you.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.