from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a way that is practical.
- adv. For all practical purposes; virtually.
- adv. All but; nearly; almost.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In practice; in effect. Not necessarily officially the case but what actually occurs.
- adv. Almost completely; almost entirely
- adv. With respect to practices or a practice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a practical way; not theoretically; really
- adv. By means of practice or use; by experience or experiment
- adv. In practice or use
- adv. Almost.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a practical manner; from a practical point of view; by actual experience; not merely theoretically: as, to be practically acquainted with a business.
- In effect; actually, so far as results and relations are concerned; as a matter of fact.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. (degree adverb used before a noun phrase) for all practical purposes but not completely
- adv. almost; nearly
- adv. in a practical manner
Eight years and billions of dollars later, we learned that the North Koreans were breaking their word practically from day one.
The title practically screams out the conclusion that he appears to be seeking.
The word practically wedged in her throat, and she flushed.
Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller was quoted as saying officials were considering an asset swap, which he called practically a merger.
So Scalia's insistence that the Catholic Church does not consider capital punishment immoral rests on the word "practically" in the Church's catechism.
Another year, another April 20th, and another president who used the stuff, and yet marijuana use and possession is still a crime in practically all circumstances in this country.
So you can imagine how thrilled (and I do mean thrilled) I was to find that Bon Chon had moved in practically next door to my workplace.
I hear “Veggiescoop”, and I think of paste-like food in practically every futuristic sci-fi movie.
Any advice on how I can try to take care of this - I'm out about $500 - far more than I could sell what practically is a barebones setup with a DVD burner.
The outbound buses and the better air were our local indicators of the economic contraction being felt in practically every corner of the world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.