American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In fact or to all purposes; practically: The city was virtually paralyzed by the transit strike.
- adv. Almost but not quite; nearly: "Virtually everyone gets a headache now and then” ( People).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a virtual manner; in principle, or in effect, if not in actuality.
- adv. almost but not quite.
- adv. Without exaggeration; literally
- adv. In essence, but not in fact
- adv. algebra Of a substructure of finite index.
- adv. topology Of a covering space of finite index.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In a virtual manner; in efficacy or effect only, and not actually; to all intents and purposes; practically.
- adv. in essence or effect but not in fact
- adv. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
- virtual + -ly (Wiktionary)
“German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks and software systems.”
“Agence France-Presse/Getty Images German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks and software systems.”
“Dr Drug Store – my new name for Walgreen – said they got virtually all of it, but note his qualifying use of the word virtually.”
“Brennan told "Fox News Sunday" that Shahzad had "extensive interaction" with the group, which he described as virtually "indistinguishable" from Al Qaeda.”
“German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks...”
“I think most of the ads say "virtually eliminates odor," and the legal definition of "virtually" is "not.”
“then" and make the title virtually indistinguishable from Jenny from the Block's great Bennifer opus?”
“Without alternative sources of income, these miners and their families remain virtually enslaved to these groups and the conflict minerals trade.”
“You spew Rush talking points in virtually every stupid post you make and you would recognize a decent debate if it bit your nutsack you ignorant loser.”
“For years Mr. Dobbs demonized undocumented imigrants in virtually every way possible.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘virtually’.
Use these and get promoted
verbs Adj Adv noun
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Very basic words for ESL students.
A long list of adverbs, beginning with full-drive. Someone had to list them. This list in continued in the list More Adverbia.
Read some sniping and some informative commentary about a...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for virtually.