from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In fact or to all purposes; practically: The city was virtually paralyzed by the transit strike.
- adv. Almost but not quite; nearly: "Virtually everyone gets a headache now and then” ( People).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. almost but not quite.
- adv. Without exaggeration; literally
- adv. In essence, but not in fact
- adv. Of a substructure of finite index.
- adv. Of a covering space of finite index.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a virtual manner; in efficacy or effect only, and not actually; to all intents and purposes; practically.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a virtual manner; in principle, or in effect, if not in actuality.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in essence or effect but not in fact
- adv. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks and software systems.
Agence France-Presse/Getty Images German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks and software systems.
Dr Drug Store – my new name for Walgreen – said they got virtually all of it, but note his qualifying use of the word virtually.
Brennan told "Fox News Sunday" that Shahzad had "extensive interaction" with the group, which he described as virtually "indistinguishable" from Al Qaeda.
German steelmaker ThyssenKrupp is creating what it describes as a virtually integrated steel operation, linking workers on three continents by elaborate computer networks...
I think most of the ads say "virtually eliminates odor," and the legal definition of "virtually" is "not."
"then" and make the title virtually indistinguishable from Jenny from the Block's great Bennifer opus?
Without alternative sources of income, these miners and their families remain virtually enslaved to these groups and the conflict minerals trade.
You spew Rush talking points in virtually every stupid post you make and you would recognize a decent debate if it bit your nutsack you ignorant loser.
For years Mr. Dobbs demonized undocumented imigrants in virtually every way possible.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.