from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. By a small margin; barely: We scarcely made it in time.
- adv. Almost not; hardly: We scarcely ever used the reserve generator.
- adv. Certainly not: They could scarcely complain after such good treatment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Probably not.
- adv. Certainly not.
- adv. Almost not at all; by a small margin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sparingly; parsimoniously; niggardly; stingily.
- Scantily; insufficiently.
- Hardly; barely; with difficulty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. almost not
- adv. only a very short time before
Sorry, no etymologies found.