from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Above all; especially.
- adv. Almost entirely; mainly.
- adj. Of or relating to a chief: chiefly responsibilities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. especially or primarily; above all
- adv. mainly or principally; almost entirely
- adj. of, or relating to a chief
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In the first place; principally; preëminently; above; especially.
- adv. For the most part; mostly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a chief; proper to a chief.
- Principally; above all; in the first place; eminently.
- For the most part; mostly: as, his estates were chiefly situated in Scotland.
- Synonyms Mainly, especially, eminently, primarily.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. for the most part
chief + -ly (Wiktionary)