from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In the first place; to begin with.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In the first place; before anything else; first.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In the first place; before anything else; -- sometimes improperly used for first.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- First; in the first place; before anything else.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. before anything else
Coined between 1525 and 1535 from first + -ly. (Wiktionary)