from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. To an extent or degree deserving of special emphasis; particularly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In a special manner; specially
- adv. particularly; to a greater extent than is normal
- adv. Used to place greater emphasis upon someone or something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In an especial manner; chiefly; particularly; peculiarly; in an uncommon degree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In an especial manner; particularly; principally; chiefly; peculiarly; specially; in reference to one person or thing in particular.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a special manner
- adv. to a distinctly greater extent or degree than is common
especial + -ly (Wiktionary)