from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Almost but not quite: The coat nearly fits.
- adv. In a close manner; intimately: a matter nearly affecting our interests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. almost, but not quite; slightly short of
- adv. intimately; closely
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a near manner; not remotely; closely; intimately; almost.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Close at hand; in close proximity; at no great distance; hence, narrowly; with close scrutiny.
- Closely: as, two persons nearly related.
- Intimately; pressingly; with a close relation to one's interest or happiness.
- Within a little of; almost: as, nearly twenty; the prisoner nearly escaped; nearly dead with cold.
- With niggardliness or parsimony.
- Exactly; precisely.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
- adv. in a close manner
near + -ly (Wiktionary)