from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In another way; differently: She thought otherwise.
- adv. Under other circumstances: Otherwise I might have helped.
- adv. In other respects: an otherwise logical mind.
- adj. Other than supposed; different: The evidence is otherwise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Differently, in another way.
- adv. In different circumstances; or else.
- adv. In all other respects.
- adj. Other than supposed, different.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a different manner; in another way, or in other ways; differently; contrarily.
- adv. In other respects.
- adv. In different circumstances; under other conditions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a different manner or way; differently.
- By other means; from other causes; on other terms.
- In other respects; under other circumstances; in a different case.
- Else; but for the reason indicated.
- On the other hand.
- Different; of a different kind or character.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in other respects or ways
- adj. other than as supposed or expected
- adv. in another and different manner
Middle English, from Old English (on) ōthere wīsan, (in) another manner : ōthre, dative of ōther, other + wīsan, dative of wīse, manner; see wise2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
other + -wise (Wiktionary)