American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Differing one from another.
- adj. Made up of distinct characteristics, qualities, or elements: "Prague ... offers visitors a series of excursions into a rich and diverse past” ( Olivier Bernier).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Different in kind; essentially different; different as individuals of one kind or as different kinds, but not as being affected by different accidents. Thus, Philip drunk and Philip sober, though different, are not diverse.
- Capable of assuming many forms; various; multiform.
- Synonyms Divers, Diverse. See divers.
- In different directions.
- To make diverse; diversify.
- To differ; be diverse.
- To turn aside; turn out of one's way.
- adj. consisting of many different elements; various
- adj. different; unlike; dissimilar; distinct; separate.
- adv. In different directions; diversely.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Different; unlike; dissimilar; distinct; separate.
- adj. Capable of various forms; multiform.
- adv. In different directions; diversely.
- v. obsolete To turn aside.
- adj. distinctly dissimilar or unlike
- adj. many and different
- From Latin diversus ("various, different"), also written divorsus, past participle of divertere, divortere ("to turn or go different ways, part, separate, divert"); see divert. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English divers, from Old French divers, from Latin dīversus, past participle of dīvertere, to divert; see divert. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The document also focuses on how China is increasingly confronted by a range of what it calls "diverse and complex" security challenges.”
“Brazil quickly rose to the top" in the search for new markets, Direct Edge Chief Executive William O'Brien said in an interview, citing what he called a "diverse and sophisticated customer base" and a "world-class capital market" as among the country's lures.”
“GRISWOLD: ... and the overwhelming reality of the Episcopal Church is what I call the diverse center.”
“Callahan said he knows it is important for him to put aside some of his personal viewpoints when it comes to representing what he called a diverse party.”
“The nearly-hysterical reporter's assumption is that Switzerland must take in a few million immigrants so it will become "diverse," and thus no longer so irritatingly diverse from the rest of Europe.”
“With the 2007 Supreme Court ruling that weakened the legacy of Brown v Board and rise of public desire for "neighborhood schools," the goal to maintain diverse schools will diminish over time.”
“So a complete alternate realiy where Austria would have built a nation staate from their empire that was so extreme diverse from a lingual standpoint alone is a rather unlikely alternative for example.”
“It dealt with how power is used in diverse societies.”
“But now, armed with data concerning the salaries customarily paid to employees in diverse positions of trust, authority and responsibility, and having conducted a rudimentary analysis of comparative levels of success between foreign and domestically owned businesses, it's clear that the differences are rather simple, and relate to three fundamentals:”
“How diverse is it when the tolerance only goes one way?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘diverse’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
Key terms from Mitt Romney's election campaign
good and generous..., hard fought election, go back to work, optimistic and po..., confident in the ..., optimism, uniquely American, nation of immigrants, want a better life, life in that plac..., pursuit of the ri..., richness of this ... and 369 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Positive words and vague promises. THE words and expressions to use when you want to win over the masses or just don't know what to say.
"CAPITAL" stands for the administrative capital...
During the month of October, post at least 10 new words to this list. Make sure you cite where you read the word (book/author/pg) and quote the context/sentence where you found it. If someone has a...
My big word list.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Very basic words for ESL students.
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Looking for tweets for diverse.