from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Various; several; sundry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Obsolete spelling of diverse.
- adj. Various.
- adj. Of many different sorts.
- n. Plural form of diver.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Different in kind or species; diverse.
- adj. Several; sundry; various; more than one, but not a great number. Also used substantively or pronominally.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Different in kind, quality, or manner; various.
- Several; sundry; more than one, but not a great number: as, we have divers examples of this kind.
- Synonyms Divers, Diverse. Divers implies difference only, and is always used with a plural noun; diverse (with either a singular or a plural noun) denotes difference with opposition. Thus, the evangelists narrate the same events in divers manners, but not in diverse. Trench.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. many and different
_first_, to know the divers complexions and constitutions; secondly, the _diseases_; and, lastly, the _cures_; so in medicining of the mind, -- after knowledge of the _divers characters_ of _men's natures_, it followeth, in order, to know the diseases and infirmities of the mind, which are no other than the perturbations and distempers of the affections. '
Foley says the depth among U.S. springboard divers is going to toughen them up in the run-up to 2012.
They staggered beneath the unwonted effort, and legs became drunken with weariness and titubated in divers directions till the sunlight darkened and bearer and burden fell by the way.
These masks, broken in divers places by the movement of the facial muscles, had constantly to be renewed, so that the deposit was irregular of depth and peculiar of aspect.
Also, she amplified the retort courteous in divers vivid and unprintable ways.
By the time Corliss returned with the last load of wood, the pocket-miner had cleared away the snow and moss in divers spots, and formed, in general design, a rude cross.
The mystery of the man I had not appealed to him, nor had his silence and the veiled romance which the yellow reporters had so sensationally and so fruitlessly explotted in divers Sunday editions.
And the arts of peace flourished, and you multiplied yourself in divers ways.
They unhesitating to send the existence of ss to varied in divers of the less-developed countries.
Snorkeling tours run from $35US to $80US; a guided dive (2 tanks) for certified divers is about $130US.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.