from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or consisting of various kinds or forms; diverse. See Synonyms at miscellaneous.
- adj. Having been modified or altered.
- adj. Of several colors; varicolored or variegated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of vary.
- adj. diverse or miscellaneous
- adj. having been changed or modified
- adj. variegated
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Changed; altered; various; diversified
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Altered: partially changed; changed.
- Characterized by variety; consisting of various kinds or sorts: as, a varied assortment of goods.
- Differing from one another; diverse; various: as, commerce with its varied interests.
- Variegated in color: as, the varied thrush
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. broken away from sameness or identity or duplication
- adj. characterized by variety
- adj. widely different
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is divulging no secret that the income that passed with the title varied between five and seven thousand pounds a year, according as coal was high, and tenants prosperous or not -- a mere miserable pittance, of course, for the Earl of Montdidier and Kirkudbrightshire; so that all his ventures, and therefore ours, had one avowed end -- shekels enough to lift the mortgages from his estates.
Over the years, my definition of “friend” has varied from the girl who shared her toys with me, to the girls that whispered middle school secrets over the phone late at night, to the women who I hold near and dear to my heart and have stood by me through moments of bruised emotions and contagious laughter.
We can delve into the metaphor of the “devouring vagina” as a threat to the masculine phallus, and the concept, in varied histories, of women as being sexually capricious and, yes, predatory.
My wife uses it extensively in varied dishes from sauces to desserts that call for heavy cream and it works perfectly.
The problems this year varied from a string manipulation to a brute force solution for tiling a grid.
You can jig these spoons or retrieve in varied manners.
The colouring on these spreads varied from the subtle to the eyewatering, but was always superior – in my opinion – to the slapdash colouring on the Eagle versions.
In contrast, leaders who are culturally agile are able to respond to and perform well in varied and unfamiliar cultural contexts.
Fur tends to come in varied shades of black and brown (Natural and Synthetic).
The Summer School gives people from all over the world a chance to present their challenging problems in varied math and science fields and work with others to find solutions using Mathematica.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.