from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music An unaccented beat in a measure.
- adj. Slang Not conforming to an ordinary type or pattern; unconventional: offbeat humor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The beats not normally accented in a measure.
- n. An unconventional person, someone who does not follow the beat, who chooses not to conform.
- adj. Unusual, unconventional, not ordinary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. informal terms; strikingly unconventional
- n. an unaccented beat (especially the last beat of a measure)
From off- + beat; not following the beat (e.g., of a drum that sounds out cadence) (Wiktionary)