American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Small, slender, and trim. Used of a girl or woman. See Synonyms at small.
- n. A clothing size for short slender women.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Little; of small size; tiny.
- adj. Of a woman: fairly short and of slim build.
- adj. Of women's clothing: of small size.
- adj. Small, little; insignificant; petty.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Small, little; of a woman or girl, of small size and trim figure.
- n. a garment size for short or slender women
- adj. very small
- Borrowing from French petite, feminine of petit ("small, little"). (Wiktionary)
- French, feminine of petit; see petit. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“– In 1638 they opened what they called the petite écoles, in which Lancelot,”
“My heart and other organs belong to a certain petite, disturbing hottie with a penchant for road rage and telling outlandish stories about our supposed personal life.”
“More photos in petite anglaise book launch party comments (12) about me about the book press clippings petite's paris facebook twitter feeds my first novel is available as a paperback original in the UK and can be ordered here with free worldwide postage”
“More photos in petite anglaise book launch party comments (12) 12 comments”
“She was old and feeble, small and thin -- that's why everyone called her petite maman -- but once she knew what she ought to do, then her spirit overpowered the weakness of her wizened body.”
“When I go to steakhouses here in Madison, I always order the smallest size -- "petite" -- and it's 6 ounces.”
“Paperback petite is due to hit the shops in February 2009, so why it’s already on Amazon, I’m not entirely sure.”
“I think I felt a bit cheated as well – I was much more interested in petite’s legal struggle (and eventual triumph) than the Rennes story.”
“In the casting notice we got our hands on earlier this month, Jane is described as a petite blonde with a “Botticelli angel-like face…and crimson irises.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘petite’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Short and cute synonyms for small
Describing appearance and physique. More quantitative than qualitative/comparative. Can be used to sum a person up one-wordedly. (Still working on the definition of what I want in this list.)
Adjectives that describe small objects.
French words and phrases used by English speakers.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
A list of miscellaneous words, fitting in no exact theme, that I happen to enjoy.
Looking for tweets for petite.