from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A copy or model that represents or reproduces something in a greatly reduced size.
- n. Something small of its class.
- n. A small painting executed with great detail, often on a surface such as ivory or vellum.
- n. A small portrait, picture, or decorative letter on an illuminated manuscript.
- n. The art of painting miniatures.
- adj. Being on a small or greatly reduced scale. See Synonyms at small.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small version of something; a model of reduced scale.
- n. A small, highly detailed painting, a portrait miniature.
- n. The art of painting such highly detailed miniature works.
- n. An illustration in an illuminated manuscript.
- n. A musical composition which is short in duration.
- n. A token in a game representing a unit or character.
- adj. Smaller than normal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, a painting in colors such as those in mediæval manuscripts; in modern times, any very small painting, especially a portrait.
- n. Greatly diminished size or form; reduced scale.
- n. Lettering in red; rubric distinction.
- n. A particular feature or trait.
- adj. Being on a small scale; much reduced from the reality.
- transitive v. To represent or depict in a small compass, or on a small scale.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A painting, generally a portrait, of very small dimensions, usually executed in water-colors, but sometimes in oil, on ivory, vellum, or paper of a thick and fine quality.
- n. Hence Anything represented on a greatly reduced scale.
- n. A greatly reduced scale, style, or form.
- n. Red letter; lettering in red lead or vermilion.
- n. Anything small or on a small scale.
- On a small scale; much reduced from natural size.
- To represent or depict on a small scale.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being on a very small scale
- n. painting or drawing included in a book (especially in illuminated medieval manuscripts)
- n. a copy that reproduces a person or thing in greatly reduced size
Italian miniatura, illumination of manuscripts, small painting, from miniare, to illuminate, from Latin miniāre, to color red, from minium, red lead.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Italian miniatura (manuscript illumination), from miniare (to illuminate), from the Latin miniāre (to colour red), from minium (red lead). (Wiktionary)