from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The process, art, or occupation of coating surfaces with paint for a utilitarian or artistic effect.
- n. A picture or design in paint.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of paint.
- n. An illustration or artwork done with the use of paint(s).
- n. The action of applying paint to a surface.
- n. The same activity as an art form.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or employment of laying on, or adorning with, paints or colors.
- n. The work of the painter; also, any work of art in which objects are represented in color on a flat surface; a colored representation of any object or scene; a picture.
- n. Color laid on; paint.
- n. A depicting by words; vivid representation in words.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act, art, or employment of laying on paints.
- n. A picture; specifically, a likeness, image, or scene depicted with paints.
- n. Color laid on.
- n. See the qualifying words.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface
- n. the occupation of a house painter
- n. creating a picture with paints
- n. the act of applying paint to a surface
Sorry, no etymologies found.