from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A book, document, or other composition written by hand.
- n. A typewritten or handwritten version of a book, an article, a document, or other work, especially the author's own copy, prepared and submitted for publication in print.
- n. Handwriting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Which is handwritten, or by extension typewritten, as opposed to mechanical reproduction.
- n. A book, composition or any other document, (type)written by hand, not mechanically reproduced.
- n. A single, original copy of a book, article, composition etc, written by hand or even printed, submitted as original for (copy-editing and) reproductive publication.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Written with or by the hand; not printed.
- n. An original literary or musical composition written by the author, formerly with the hand, now usually by typewriter or word processor. It is contrasted with a printed copy.
- n. Writing, as opposed to print.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Written with the hand; in handwriting (not printed).
- Consisting of writings or written books.
- n. A book, paper, or instrument written by hand with ink or other pigment, or with a pencil or the like; a writing of any kind, as distinguished from anything that is printed. Especially
- n. Such a book, paper, or instrument so written before the introduction and general adoption of printing in the fifteenth century, or in a style in vogue before the invention of printing.
- To write by hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. handwritten book or document
- n. the form of a literary work submitted for publication
Publishers will not buy a novel manuscript from a first-time novelist unless the manuscript is completed.
Download the first six chapters free, the balance of the manuscript is yours for $10.00 using a credit-card.
Your manuscript is as stiff as my smoking pen barrel
Regardless if you are looking to self publish or go down the more traditional paths of publishing, an assessor will ensure your manuscript is at its best to be presented to whilst giving you detailed feedback with practical tasks and strategies for improvement.
But the manuscript is actually 110,000 words long!
My editor heard from the other editor and the manuscript is accepted as is, so the brunt of the work is done.
This manuscript is almost done, almost as good as it will ever be with this plot and these characters.
However, as anyone who has followed my last two posts here will know, the deadline for this manuscript is the end of November.
So try to cover your bum and be sure your manuscript is as free of potential legal problems as possible.
An asterisk indicates the manuscript is associated with one of the six core houses.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.