from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Laborious study or meditation.
- n. Writing produced by laborious effort or study, especially pedantic or pretentious writing. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. intense and prolonged study or meditation; especially, late at night
- n. The product of such study; often, writings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of lucubrating, or studying by candlelight; nocturnal study; meditation.
- n. That which is composed by night; that which is produced by meditation in retirement; hence (loosely) any literary composition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of lucubrating; close study or thought; careful consideration; meditation.
- n. A product of thought or study; a written composition; an essay or treatise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a solemn literary work that is the product of laborious cogitation
- n. laborious cogitation
From the Latin lūcubrātiō ("nighttime study"), from lūcubrō ("work by artificial light"), from lūx ("light"). (Wiktionary)