from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A critical revision of a text incorporating the most plausible elements found in varying sources.
- n. A text so revised.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A critical revision of a text
- n. A text established by critical revision
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of reviewing or revising; review; examination; enumeration.
- n. Specifically, the review of a text (as of an ancient author) by an editor; critical revisal and establishment.
- n. The result of such a work; a text established by critical revision; an edited version.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Review; examination; enumeration.
- n. A critical or methodical revision, as of the text of a book or document; alteration of a text according to some authority, standard, or principle; a reëditing or systematic revisal.
- n. A text established by critical or systematic revision; an edited version.
- n. A critical examination, as of a book; a review; a critique.
The correct historical setting indicates that the recension was the work of an Abyssinian of the sixth century, who wished to date the establishment of the Abyssinian
It seems to be very much the same recension which is exhibited by Coisl.
Peisistratic "recension," goes far to prove, that, among the numerous manuscripts they examined, this was either wanting, or thought unworthy of attention.
Alexandrine critics respecting the Peisistratic "recension," goes far to prove, that, among the numerous manuscripts they examined, this was either wanting, or thought unworthy of attention.
"recension," but, in his understanding, he finds the word most descriptive of the process to be forgery.
It seems to be very much the same recension which is exhibited by Coisl. 19 (_infrà_,
There's nothing in the rite itself that is un-Catholic; you could have told me that this is simply an English recension of the Roman rite for Vespers-Compline and I would believe you!
The Eastern-rite monks in this monastery observe the Russian Nikonian recension of the Byzantine Rite, making it one of the very few places where the Russian Orthodox liturgical tradition is celebrated in all its purity in communion with the Catholic Church.
The Gospel of Thomas in a Coptic recension particularly popular among Texan Baptists says that where there are three gods, there they are truly blogs.
Claes Andersson har skrivit en recension av Sydänfilmi här.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.