from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of editing or revising a piece of writing; preparation for publication.
- n. An edited work; a new edition or revision.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Edited or censored version of a document.
- n. The change or changes made while editing.
- n. The process of editing or censoring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of redacting; work produced by redacting; a digest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of reducing to order; the act of preparing for publication: said of literary or historical matter.
- n. A work thus prepared; a special form, edition, or version of a work as digested, revised, or rewritten.
- n. The staff of writers on a newspaper or other periodical; an editorial staff or department.
- n. The act of drawing back; a withdrawal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of putting something in writing
- n. putting something (as a literary work or a legislative bill) into acceptable form
From New Latin redactio ("redaction"), from Latin redigere ("to lead back, collect, prepare, reduce to a certain state"), from red- ("back") + agere ("to put in motion, to drive"). (Wiktionary)