from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act, fact, or occupation of writing.
- n. Source or origin, as of a book or idea: a poem of disputed authorship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being an author; the function or dignity of an author.
- n. The source; origin; origination; as, the authorship of a book or review, or of an act, or state of affairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being an author; function or dignity of an author.
- n. Source; origin; origination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The source or cause of anything that may be said to have an author; origination; causation: as, the authorship of an invention or of a political movement; a book whose authorship is unknown.
- n. The state of being an author; the occupation of writing books.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of creating written works
- n. the act of initiating a new idea or theory or writing
Although all authorship is ultimately failure, as judged by its categorical inability to express the pure essence of an inspiration or idea, writing can sidestep and even subvert this inbuilt inability after a fashion by deliberately generating a sense that the words are reductions of awesome truths that loom behind them.
Also unlike conventional copyright arrangements, others are not prevented by force of law from doing the same with the work in question, provided that (under the attribution form of license) the authorship is noted.
Characters are being liberated, authorship is be re-shaped and unforeseen talents are taking the reins.
I'd argue that medical editors play an important role in ensuring clarity of data, but the line between editing and authorship is growing increasingly hard to define.
By focusing on aspects of the book other than plain authorship, you too can amass an extraordinary collection without draining the tank.
While its authorship is often contested, the fact remains that epic poems like The Iliad, written in dactylic hexameters, not only contributed to the evolution of the poetry genre but also to the proliferation of the written word.
This philosophy conflict between user-created experiences and designed authorship is one of the most interesting issues emerging in next-gen games.
They reminded me that utility and integrity, and not authorship, is the standard for judging intellectual product.
Making the jump from a meta-tag to authorship is a huge leap, and in this case not even close to the truth.
Inclusive authorship is the best way to create inclusive genres & fan bases.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.