from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act, fact, or occupation of writing.
- n. Source or origin, as of a book or idea: a poem of disputed authorship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being an author; the function or dignity of an author.
- n. The source; origin; origination; as, the authorship of a book or review, or of an act, or state of affairs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being an author; function or dignity of an author.
- n. Source; origin; origination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The source or cause of anything that may be said to have an author; origination; causation: as, the authorship of an invention or of a political movement; a book whose authorship is unknown.
- n. The state of being an author; the occupation of writing books.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of creating written works
- n. the act of initiating a new idea or theory or writing
author + -ship (Wiktionary)