American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or fact of being an owner.
- n. Legal right to the possession of a thing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being an owner; the right by which a thing belongs specifically to some person or body; proprietorship; possession as an owner or proprietor. See owner.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being an owner; the right to own; exclusive right of possession; legal or just claim or title; proprietorship.
- n. the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others
- n. the state or fact of being an owner
- n. the act of having and controlling property
- owner + -ship (Wiktionary)
“Some sort of certainty in ownership is needed as the free agency period approaches.”
“Their ownership is evidenced by actual paper shares, and is portable, such that they retain ownership anywhere they live, even overseas.”
“The term ownership goes beyond numbers in this case.”
“Bush's solution: turn over inefficient government programs to private industry, creating "ownership" - a code word for privatization.”
“The republican way of thinking which they call the ownership society, but is really rabid unregulated captialism of the sort that privatizes everything, makes us even more vulnerable to the situation of our neighbors, not less:”
“What administration argues is that what they call ownership and increasing opportunity.”
“This administration promotes what I call the ownership society.”
“NOVAK: And he'll lay out what he calls the ownership society, where you talk about ordinary Americans being able to invest in Social Security, private accounts, so they have a stake in the market.”
“Among major reasons, the Navin Jindal-led firm said that there was a title ownership issue due to existing transactions with a British Virgin Islands (BVI) company.”
“Trying another line, it was Joan Robinson who pointed out that capital ownership is not a productive activity, because "ownership" is not an activity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ownership’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A list useful to anyone bored in technical meetings.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for ownership.