American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Position relative to that of others; standing: Her status is that of a guest.
- n. High standing; prestige: a position of status in the community.
- n. Law The legal character or condition of a person or thing: the status of a minor.
- n. A state of affairs; situation. See Synonyms at state.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Standing or position as regards rank or condition.
- n. Position of affairs.
- n. In law, the standing of a person before the law in the class of persons indicated by his or her legal qualities; the relation fixed by law in which a person stands toward others or the state. Different writers vary much in the extent of meaning implied, but in the best usage it includes liberty, citizenship, and marriage, infancy and majority and wardship or tutelage, and mental capacity or incapacity according to legal tests. It is rarely if ever used of any of those relations which are terminable by consent, such as partnership.
- n. A person’s condition, position or standing relative to that of others.
- n. Prestige or high standing.
- n. A situation or state of affairs.
- n. law The legal condition of a person or thing.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. State; condition; position of affairs.
- n. the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society
- n. a state at a particular time
- From Latin status. (Wiktionary)
- Latin; see stā- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“-- _Social status the measure of financial status_.”
“He never troubled himself about his status; indeed, we would say _status_ was not the word for him.”
“For example ... (select statusID from STATUS_TBL where status = @status).”
“Sysdatabases. status and sysdatabases. status2 Bit of Sysdatabases in SQLServer declare @status int; declare @status2 int;”
“Set @status = '65544' -- Replace your DB status here set @status2 = '1090520064' -- Replace your DB status2 here”
“DriveGet, status, statusCD, \% drive2\% if status = open msgbox, Drive \% drive2\% is \% status\% or not ready return if TRACK =”
“The whole PhD/postdoc change in status is a bit of a rip off, but I must ask:”
“The solution to Quebec's uncertain status is not more concessions, Canada has made quite enough of those, but an enhanced level of Canadian political leadership and governance.”
“As time goes on his status is arguably portrayed as even more liminal because he is the only non-empowered member of the Scooby Gang, doesn't feel he quite belongs amongst the slayers and witches and vampires and ex-demons -- but of course can't go back to the mundane ignorance of the seams that permeate the world.”
“I suggest, like telephones, when a conversation starts the status is automatically changed to NOT AVAILABLE and stay available, as an option. —”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘status’.
Lexicon of terms set forth in Maimonides 'Guide to the Perplexed'. A fascinating exercise in theosophy and translation if one substitutes these definitions for a "revised" reading of the Old Testa...
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Use these and get promoted
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
From a book about life and death.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
things you may rise above with.
goto things (bad)
( randomness, events, situations, nouns )
You can manipulate this list here: http://www.visualthesaurus.com/wordlists/184552
Words to describe the art during the Realist movement
My Tag Cloud
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for status.