from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An appliance or device for a particular purpose: an x-ray apparatus.
- n. An integrated group of materials or devices used for a particular purpose: dental apparatus. See Synonyms at equipment.
- n. The totality of means by which a designated function is performed or a specific task executed, as in a system of government.
- n. A political organization or an underground political movement. Also called apparat.
- n. Physiology A group or system of organs that collectively perform a specific function or process: the respiratory apparatus; the digestive apparatus.
- n. The critical and source material that accompanies an edition of a text.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The entirety of means whereby a specific production is made existent or task accomplished.
- n. A complex machine or instrument.
- n. An assortment of tools or instruments.
- n. A bureaucratic organization, especially one influenced by political patronage.
- n. A vehicle used for emergency response.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Things provided as means to some end.
- n. Hence: A full collection or set of implements, or utensils, for a given duty, experimental or operative; any complex instrument or appliance, mechanical or chemical, for a specific action or operation; machinery; mechanism.
- n. A collection of organs all of which unite in a common function.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An equipment of things provided and adapted as means to some end; especially, a collection, combination, or set of machinery, tools, instruments, utensils, appliances, or materials intended, adapted, and necessary for the accomplishment of some purpose, such as mechanical work, experimenting, etc.: as, chemical, philosophical, or surgical apparatus.
- Specifically— In physiology, a collection of organs which, though differing in structure, all minister to the same function: as, the respiratory apparatus; the digestive apparatus.
- A collection of materials for any literary work: as, critical apparatus for the study of the Greek text of the New Testament.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. equipment designed to serve a specific function
- n. (anatomy) a group of body parts that work together to perform a given function
Latin apparātus, preparation, from past participle of apparāre, to prepare : ad-, ad- + parāre, to prepare.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin apparātus (Wiktionary)