from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. Objects, such as provisions or baggage, that impede or encumber.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Equipment intended for an activity that serves as more of a hindrance than a help
- n. Plural form of impedimentum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. Things which impede or hinder progress; incumbrances; baggage
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Things which hinder, impede, or encumber; specifically, articles taken with one on a journey which impede one's progress; especially, military baggage; supplies carried along with an army; in general, baggage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the baggage and equipment carried by an army
- n. any structure that makes progress difficult
Latin impedīmenta, pl. of impedīmentum, impediment; see impediment.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)