American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Something that impedes; a hindrance or obstruction. See Synonyms at obstacle.
- n. An organic defect preventing clear articulation: a speech impediment.
- n. Law Something that obstructs the making of a legal contract.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which impedes or hinders progress; hindrance; obstruction; obstacle.
- To impede.
- n. A hindrance; that which impedes or hinders progress.
- n. Baggage, especially that of an army; impedimenta
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. That which impedes or hinders progress, motion, activity, or effect.
- v. rare To impede.
- n. any structure that makes progress difficult
- n. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
- From Latin impedimentum. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from Latin impedīmentum, from impedīre, to impede; see impede. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The main impediment to this profit of one ounce of silver per transaction (minus any shipping fees) was the inability to secure enough gold.”
“The main impediment to progress in America is Republicans.”
“In fact it is in impediment to getting close to God.”
“I wish to ask CC if having a speech impediment is "bad.”
“Here, the impediment is reversed – the body is not too old but too young.”
“This helpful post by Kate Martin suggests that the most serious legal impediment is 18 USC 2702.”
“As stated succinctly in ASGISA: "For both the public infrastructure and the private investment programmes, the single greatest impediment is shortage of skills - including professional skills such as engineers and scientists; managers such as financial, personnel and project managers; and skilled technical employees such as artisans and IT technicians.”
“The main impediment isn't medical or scientific, it's social.”
“The single greatest impediment is shortage of skills, including professional, managerial and technical skills.”
“Ashcroft attempted to lay blame for the existence of the Wall at Gorelick's feet, and claimed that it was a main impediment to investigations that might have otherwise uncovered and perhaps forestalled the 9/11 attacks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘impediment’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
List of most of the words I've learned
All my favourite words that I come across!
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for impediment.