from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that impedes; a hindrance or obstruction. See Synonyms at obstacle.
- n. An organic defect preventing clear articulation: a speech impediment.
- n. Law Something that obstructs the making of a legal contract.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hindrance; that which impedes or hinders progress.
- n. Baggage, especially that of an army; impedimenta
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which impedes or hinders progress, motion, activity, or effect.
- transitive v. To impede.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which impedes or hinders progress; hindrance; obstruction; obstacle.
- To impede.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any structure that makes progress difficult
- n. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin impedīmentum, from impedīre, to impede; see impede.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin impedimentum. (Wiktionary)