from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A burden; a thing that must be carried.
- n. an interest, right, burden, or liability attached to a title of land, such as a lien or mortgage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A burdensome and troublesome load; anything that impedes motion or action, or renders it difficult or laborious; clog; impediment; hindrance; check.
- n. A burden or charge upon property; a claim or lien upon an estate, which may diminish its value.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See encumbrance, encumbrancer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
- n. an onerous or difficult concern
- n. a charge against property (as a lien or mortgage)
Sorry, no etymologies found.