from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of hindering.
- n. The condition of being hindered.
- n. One that hinders; an impediment. See Synonyms at obstacle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something which hinders: something that holds back or causes problems with something else.
- n. The state or act of hindering something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of hindering, or the state of being hindered.
- n. That which hinders; an impediment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which hinders or stops progression or advance; impediment; obstruction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
- n. the act of hindering or obstructing or impeding
- n. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
Middle English hindraunce, harm, from hindren, to hinder; see hinder1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From hinder + -ance (Wiktionary)