from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of embarrassing.
- n. The state of being embarrassed.
- n. A source or cause of being embarrassed.
- n. An overabundance: an embarrassment of choices at a buffet dinner; an embarrassment of riches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of discomfort arising from bashfulness or consciousness of having violated a social rule; humiliation.
- n. A state of confusion arising from hesitation or difficulty in choosing.
- n. A person or thing which is the cause of humiliation to another.
- n. Impairment of function due to disease: respiratory embarrassment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state of being embarrassed; perplexity; impediment to freedom of action; entanglement; hindrance; confusion or discomposure of mind, as from not knowing what to do or to say; disconcertedness.
- n. Difficulty or perplexity arising from the want of money to pay debts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Perplexity; intricacy; entanglement; involvement, as by debt or unfavorable circumstances.
- n. Perplexity or confusion of mind; bewilderment; discomposure; abashment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme excess
- n. the state of being embarrassed (usually by some financial inadequacy)
- n. the shame you feel when your inadequacy or guilt is made public
- n. some event that causes someone to be embarrassed
I think when Chesterton wrote that, if someone were to actually say, "That is wicked," the Journalists would shuffle their feet in embarrassment, but generally not dispute the obvious truth.
Governor Sanford's greatest self-embarrassment is his self-righteous condemnation of others 'behavior.
But while keeping up the charade may be saving the ECB some short-term embarrassment, its existing policies of propping up insolvent banks and governments are only increasing the cost of the euro-zone crisis in the long term.
What's an embarrassment is the MN State GOP making such a statement.
After President Obama forgave Lieberman for attacking his character and good intentions during 2008 presidential campaign, especially in light of Democratic Legislatures preference to terminate Lieberman's political career, the embarrassment is solely on "Joe the Jerk" Lieberman.
The only embarrassment is the GOP's continued hypocrisy and their obstructionist tactics.
If you were a competent analyst and were told that by a company, would you (a) crawl into a hole in embarrassment at being a simpleton and give the company you couldn't understand a glowing rating; or (b) downgrade the company?
She's from Idaho, not Alaska and we can be thankful one more political embarrassment is off the stage, hopefully sue
I was squirming in embarrassment when they never talked to Eddie at all.
I think embarrassment is an integral part of the dog training experience.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.