Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being awkward. Clumsiness; unwieldiness; unsuitableness: as, the awkwardness of a tool, or of a plan of operations; the awkwardness of a bundle on account of its size or shape.
- n. The state or quality of being awkward
- n. unskillfulness resulting from a lack of training
- n. trouble in carrying or managing caused by bulk or shape
- n. the quality of an embarrassing situation
- n. the carriage of someone whose movements and posture are ungainly or inelegant
- n. the inelegance of someone stiff and unrelaxed (as by embarrassment)
- awkward + -ness (Wiktionary)
“However, awkwardness is not a condition that is limited to gawky teens who haven't grown into their feet yet.”
“The real awkwardness is them trying to include Cool in the first place … gunning for some young people, maybe?”
“The latest unauthorized release, i.e., leak, of some 250,000 documents by WikiLeaks does not appear to constitute a national security crisis, although it will cause more than a little near-term awkwardness and create some longer-term problems for the United States and its partners.”
“The latest leak of some 250,000 documents by WikiLeaks does not appear to constitute a national security crisis, although it will cause more than a little near-term awkwardness for the United States and its partners.”
“The awkwardness is not inherent in the relationship, it comes from the fact that their relationship is relegated to a second class.”
“However, I tend to think the awkwardness is more due to bad direction or lack of it as opposed to any decision made by the performers themselves.”
“It is a poem which allows both heroism and pathos to poor people, sees strength in awkwardness, and attributes to a poor person standing on the stoop of his slum house every bit as much significance as William Wordsworth saw in daffodils, waterfalls, and clouds.”
“But, the awkwardness is the best part of it, it’s like they’re making it up as they go along.”
“(Joins group composed of Connie, Mrs. Dowsett, and Hubbard.) (Knox comes forward to Margaret, betraying a certain awkwardness due to lack of experience in such social functions.”
“Watching a bunch of seemingly rich yuppie 20-somethings partying, telling bad jokes, and experiencing moments of romantic awkwardness is not on the top of any Monster Movie Lover’s list.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘awkwardness’.
from the poetry and prose of walt whitman
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for awkwardness.