from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being superfluous.
- n. Something superfluous: could do without such superfluities as a second car.
- n. Overabundance; excess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being superfluous; in excess or overabundance.
- n. Something superfluous, as a luxury.
- n. Collective noun for a group of nuns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A greater quantity than is wanted; superabundance
- n. The state or quality of being superfluous; excess.
- n. Something beyond what is needed; something which serves for show or luxury.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A quantity that is superfluous or in excess; a greater quantity than is wanted; superabundance; redundancy.
- n. That which is in excess of what is wanted; especially, something used for show or luxury rather than for comfort or from necessity; something that could easily be dispensed with.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme excess
Sorry, no etymologies found.