American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A great or plentiful amount.
- n. Fullness to overflowing: "My thoughts . . . are from the abundance of my heart” ( Thomas De Quincey).
- n. Affluence; wealth.
- n. Chemistry The amount of an isotope of an element that exists in nature, usually expressed as a percentage of the total amount of all isotopes of the element.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A copious supply or quantity; overflowing plenteousness; unrestricted sufficiency: strictly applicable to quantity only, but sometimes used of number: as, an abundance of corn, or of people; to have money in great abundance.
- n. Overflowing fullness or affluence; repletion; amplitude of means or resources.
- n. Synonyms Exuberance, Profusion, etc. (see plenty); plenteousness, plentifulness, plenitude, sufficiency, copiousness, ampleness, luxuriance, supply. See affluence.
- n. In card-playing, same as abondance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An overflowing fullness; ample sufficiency; great plenty; profusion; copious supply; superfluity; wealth: -- strictly applicable to quantity only, but sometimes used of number.
- n. (physics) the ratio of the number of atoms of a specific isotope of an element to the total number of isotopes present
- n. the property of a more than adequate quantity or supply
- n. (chemistry) the ratio of the total mass of an element in the earth's crust to the total mass of the earth's crust; expressed as a percentage or in parts per million
“Since the effect of the movement is to reduce the liquids to the same condition, _a difference in density causes the flow to be greater from the less dense toward the denser liquid_, than in the opposite direction; while _a difference in composition causes the substances in solution to move from the place of greater abundance toward places of less abundance_.”
“He buys at a low price in proportion to the abundance of the articles in demand; _abundance_, then, enriches him.”
“What it does have in abundance is limp, broad comedy starring Shia LaBeouf and some actually rather tepid vamping by former-It Girl Megan Fox.”
“My patience, never in abundance, is rapidly waning with every subdivision of these hairs.”
“What NASA has in abundance is a higher approval rating than at any time in its history - even during the height of Apollo - and it stands as a beacon of hope to a world fraught with economic depression, security threats and a general malaise.”
“One thing Senator Obama does have in abundance is more than enough Kool-Aid to go around.”
“Instead of host we might not improperly render the term abundance;  for Moses declares that this world was in every sense completed, as if the whole house were well supplied and filled with its furniture.”
“Be that as it may, what the British do have, and in abundance, is character!”
“Life in abundance is eternal life, life without death or fear of death, life and much more.”
“Your post features both long-windedness and pomposity in abundance, which is fitting because those two qualities also comprise the left foot and right foot of your idol Obama, in that they are his feet of clay.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘abundance’.
If you find a word that you want to share with me, this is a good place for it. I will try to look after it.
Words that are made up of three words, be it intended for the meaning, or coincidentally (as in "attendance").
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
words to reference while writing something
The Velvetine Ruffians
because wordsmith is not a verb.
Words that I like, that I don't use often enough, that are new to me, that friends and family have taught me, and so on.
words formed as the combination of two or more other words, but which have a meaning unrelated to either of the constituent words
Looking for tweets for abundance.