American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A plentiful supply of material goods; wealth.
- n. A great quantity; an abundance.
- n. A flowing to or toward a point; afflux.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flowing to; a concourse; afflux.
- n. Figuratively, an abundant supply, as of thoughts, words, etc.; a profusion, as of riches; hence, abundance of material goods; wealth.
- n. Synonyms Wealth, Riches, etc. (see opulence); exuberance, profusion, overflow; fortune, prosperity, ample means. See list under abundance.
- n. obsolete An abundant flow or supply.
- n. An abundance of wealth.
- n. A moderate level of wealth.
- n. An influx.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A flowing to or towards; a concourse; an influx.
- n. An abundant supply, as of thought, words, feelings, etc.; profusion; also, abundance of property; wealth.
- n. abundant wealth
- From Old French affluence, from Latin affluentia (Wiktionary)
“Stories crop up of "rich" homes being looted and trashed when left unattended, particularly in places such as the Lake Chapala area where the mark of gringo affluence is starkly visible to anyone driving or walking along some streets.”
“It also alludes to the idea of affluence, and the disordering effect of affluence is one of the ideas of the book, too.”
“I would have no problem recasting this in that way but affluence is not evenly spread between the States nor between the political parties.”
“Lower than average taxes and higher than average economic freedoms have produced through exponential growth a nation so awash in affluence our biggest problems are obesity, smoking, and car accidents and our political discussion revolve around how to dole out care for these diseases of affluence.”
“Perhaps it has something to do with herding behavior: buying increasingly larger houses, expensive cars, and other trappings of affluence is what most people seem to do - after all, it represents the American Dream.”
“My affluence is not related to their suffering as if there are resources just laying around for the lazy poor to go pick up.”
“Americans have deep social problems, proving that affluence is no cure for same.”
“Yes, the responsibility of affluence is great indeed.”
“We know that the present world population of about three billion people is living, whether in affluence or hardship, due to the efforts of an active population of approximately one billion.”
“Our affluence is most noticeable in our rapidly growing metropolitan areas and particularly in the urban sprawl and saints rest of the suburbs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘affluence’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that sound like sneezes
All my favourite words that I come across!
A list of difficult words for L2-12 learners.
Daily Vocab List
Words that I like, that I don't use often enough, that are new to me, that friends and family have taught me, and so on.
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for affluence.