from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A forward rush or flow.
- n. A violent physical or verbal attack; an assault.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A forceful rush or flow forward
- n. An aggressive assault
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rushing onward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rush or dash onward; a rapid or violent onset.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a forceful forward rush or flow
- n. (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)
From on- + rush. Compare Middle English onresen ("to rush upon; attack"), from Old English onrǣsan ("to rush, rush on"); Old English onrǣs ("an onrush, assault, attack"). (Wiktionary)