from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving, going, or growing upward: an ascending minor scale.
- adj. Moving or progressing toward a higher level or degree: an ascending order of difficulty.
- adj. Botany Growing or directing upward from a curved or slanted base, as certain plant stems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of ascend.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rising; moving upward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Proceeding from a lower position to a higher; rising; moving upward; figuratively, proceeding from the less to the greater; proceeding from a later to an earlier time; rising from grave to acute.
- In botany, growing upward, as the stem of a plant, which is called the ascending axis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of changing location in an upward direction
- adj. moving or going or growing upward
Sorry, no etymologies found.
On the table a column of steam was ascending from the big mixing-pan.
So, in ascending order, for the third prize I chose Night Passage, The Thimbles, number 53, especially pleased and heartened to find that in your midst there appears to be a conceptual artist hard at work.
My list in ascending order of my happiness when they bit it *.
If you do, it means one of three things – in ascending order of unwelcomeness:
The top 10, in ascending order of popularity will be revealed during the final homestand, Sept. 22-26.
I've talked to lots of reviewers who, like me, are making their year-end lists, and almost all of them seem to agree it's been a challenge to create and sort a list this year, to put games in ascending order of superiority.
“All companies of the 2007 Fast 50 sorted by rank in ascending order.”
If this were my graph, the line would be at a 45 degree angle ascending from the (0,0) point.
February 26, 2005 03: 43 schlarb: re: Soul-Junk chronology: all of the full length records run in ascending order from 1950 through, most recently, 1958. conversely all the EP's run in decending order from 1949 through, again most recently, 1937.
I slap on in ascending order, a squeeze of lime, Andantol and Hyrdocortisone cream.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.