from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located on high or higher ground: an uphill mine entrance.
- adj. Going up a hill or slope: an uphill climb.
- adj. Marked by difficulty or strong resistance; laborious: an uphill election campaign against a popular incumbent.
- adv. To or toward higher ground; up a slope.
- adv. Against adversity; with difficulty: struggling uphill to make ends meet.
- n. An upward slope or incline.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. up a slope, towards higher ground
- adv. with difficulty
- adj. located up a slope or on a hill
- adj. going up a slope or a hill
- adj. difficult or laborious
- n. An uphill route.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Ascending; going up.
- adj. Attended with labor; difficult.
- adv. Upwards on, or as on, a hillside.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Upward; up, or as if up, an ascent: as, to walk uphill.
- Leading or going up a rising ground; sloping upward: as, an uphill road.
- Attended with labor, fatigue, or exertion; difficult; severe; fatiguing; burdensome: as, uphill work; hence, not having free course; hampered: as, an uphill acquaintance.
- n. Rising ground; ascent; upward slope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the upward slope of a hill
- adv. against difficulties
- adv. upward on a hill or incline
- adj. sloping upward
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And for those of you all who don't ski, the term uphill skier means Scott, as you kind of heard explained there, Scott was the guy behind the other man as they both came down that ski trail.
Barack Obama already, as we say, is looking beyond what he calls his uphill battle in Pennsylvania to the primaries in two weeks on May 6.
Barack Obama already is looking beyond what he calls his uphill battle in Pennsylvania to the primaries in two weeks on May 6.
Sir! if my niece is ever to marry you, she will have what you call uphill work of it in taking her place at starting.
It's intense work, and rewarding on so many levels - it's a joy to work with people aligned in their desires for success, and the joy - I don't care how many times you witness it, of seeing your launch vehicle go uphill is indescribible.
I got hungry and walked in uphill to the road and as my head got up enough to see the downside of the ridge another hunter on the opposite side in his tree stand had his rifle pointing right at my chest.
My other dream neighborhood is Xochilmilco, but it's a bit uphill from the zocalo, so not quite as convenient.
We stopped for late lunch at Octopus Garden in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, once an old fishing village a few feet uphill from the beautiful Bay of Banderas.
Making the stigma of intolerance stick to a practitioner of wedge politics can be a winning strategy, even in uphill territory, for a well-organized progressive coalition.
The hole is about 30 yards uphill from the Fort Lawton cemetery driveway.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.