from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The raising of something, such as a body, without apparent physical cause, allegedly using the power of the mind
- n. The suspension of something via technical means without any mechanical support, such as by magnetism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Lightness; buoyancy; act of making light.
- n. The act or process of making buoyant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making light; lightness; buoyancy.
- n. Among Spiritualists, the alleged phenomenon of bodies heavier than air being by spiritual means rendered buoyant in the atmosphere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the phenomenon of a person or thing rising into the air by apparently supernatural means
- n. movement upward in virtue of lightness
- n. the act of raising (a body) from the ground by presumably spiritualistic means
From levitate (from Latin levitas ("lightness"), patterned in English on gravitate) + -ation. (Wiktionary)