from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of personifying.
- n. A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: "He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative” ( Ralph Ellison).
- n. A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia.
- n. Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person, thing or name typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification.
- n. A figure of speech, prosopopeia, in which an inanimate object or an abstraction is given human qualities.
- n. An artistic representation of an abstract quality as a human
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of personifying; impersonation; embodiment.
- n. A figure of speech in which an inanimate object or abstract idea is represented as animated, or endowed with personality; prosopop�ia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of personifying; specifically, in rhetoric, a figure of speech, or a species of metaphor, which consists in representing inanimate objects or abstract notions as endued with life and action, or possessing the attributes of living beings; prosopopœia: as, “the floods clap their hands,” “the sun rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race” “the mountains and the hills shall break forth into singing,”etc.
- n. Embodiment; impersonation.
- n. In art, the representation in the form of a person of something abstract, as a virtue or vice, or of an aggregation, as a race or nation, a body of doctrines, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. representing an abstract quality or idea as a person or creature
- n. a person who represents an abstract quality
- n. the act of attributing human characteristics to abstract ideas etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.