American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Secretion or formation of milk by the mammary glands.
- n. The period during which the mammary glands secrete milk.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The formation or secretion of milk; the physiological function of secreting milk.
- n. The act of giving suck, or the time of suckling.
- n. The secretion of milk from the mammary gland of a female mammal.
- n. The process of providing the milk to the young; breastfeeding.
- n. The period of time that a mother lactates to feed her young; lactation period.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The secretion and yielding of milk by the mammary gland; giving suck.
- n. the production and secretion of milk by the mammary glands
- n. the period following birth during which milk is secreted
- n. feeding an infant by giving suck at the breast
“As he took mental notes on the relevant biology and process, a curious Flinx could not keep from mentally substituting the term lactation for secretion, even though nothing about the practice had anything to do with milk.”
“According to Newman, lactation is listed as a possible side effect of the heart medication digoxin.”
“Male lactation is most commonly caused by hormonal treatments given to men suffering from prostate cancer.”
“The process of making breast milk is called lactation.”
“That was followed by a couple dozen entries that fell for the testes gambit, and only one curiosity seeker who chose "lactation" - guess everyone knew about the fruit bats.”
“And actually, when I had trouble with the latter, Brian essentially became my live-in lactation consultant, sitting right by my side, stroking his child’s cheek and trying to help me get everything all lined up and latched.”
“I would call a lactation consultant and find out where you can get some shields in your area ... and if the shield work it should be a decently easy transition to a bottle if you need it.”
“Once a calf is born the cow will continue to give milk for about 300 days, which is termed the lactation period.”
“So, I have called a lactation consultant who will be coming to my home tomorrow to help us figure this out.”
“Yet the Mpongwe do not, like other tribes on the west coast, practise that separation of the sexes during gestation and lactation, which is enjoined to the Hebrews, recommended by Catholicism, and commanded by”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lactation’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Terms used in the EU's Common Agricultural Policy referring to policy issues in the animal husbandry sector.
of or relating to milk, lactic acid, or lactose
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Human body sheddings, secretions, and offscum. Sometimes we gotta exuviate!
off the gound is a list of eye booger words made by trivet.
Looking for tweets for lactation.