American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The glandular mucous membrane that lines the uterus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lining membrane of the uterus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The membrane lining the inner surface of the uterus, or womb.
- n. (pregnancy) the mucous membrane that lines the uterus; thickens under hormonal control and (if pregnancy does not occur) is shed in menstruation; if pregnancy occurs it is shed along with the placenta at parturition
- From endo- (“inner”) + Late Latin metrium ("womb"), from Ancient Greek μήτριον ("of a mother"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin endomētrium : endo- + Greek mētra, uterus; see metro-. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Ninety-four percent of uterine cancers begin in the lining of the uterus, also called the endometrium.”
“In a natural anticipation of fertilization, these rising estrogen levels stimulate the tissue that lines the inside of your uterus called the endometrium to begin growing thicker.”
“The entire cavity of the uterus is lined by a mucous membrane;  this mucous membrane is called the endometrium (endo -- within; metra -- uterus).”
“The uterus, which is called the endometrium, and usually it is diagnosed following patient reports of abnormal bleeding.”
“The endometrium is a layer of mucous tissue, which lines the uterus cavity and undergoes hormone-dependent changes during the menstrual cycle.”
“Cancer of the endometrium is the most common gynaecologic malignancy and accounts for 6% of all cancers in women.”
“When a fertilized ovum reaches the uterus, it becomes implanted in the lining of the uterus, known as endometrium and a pregnancy begins.”
“Oh, right, as for the polyp, it wasn't really a polyp after all, but they did a biopsy of my endometrium which itself might have taken out the sort of bump that had looked like a polyp on ultrasound.”
“Development of specific cancers, most commonly cancers of the breast, thyroid and endometrium (lining of the uterus) and less frequently, brain tumors and a type of kidney cancer known as renal cell carcinoma”
“Individuals with CS also have a high riskof developing benign and malignant tumors of the thyroid, breast and endometrium.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘endometrium’.
words delicious to pronounce
Looking for tweets for endometrium.