American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cell formed by the union of two gametes, especially a fertilized ovum before cleavage.
- n. The organism that develops from a zygote.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a fertilized ovum, or the equivalent, in plants and in unicellular organisms, of a fertilized egg; the product of the conjugation of gametes, or sexual cells.
- n. Same as zygospore.
- n. (genetics) the diploid cell resulting from the union of a haploid spermatozoon and ovum (including the organism that develops from that cell)
- From Ancient Greek ζυγωτός (zugōtos, "yoked"), from ζυγός (zugos, "yoke"). (Wiktionary)
- From Greek zugōtos, yoked, from zugoun, to yoke; see yeug- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The zygote is the first stage of development of an individual human being.”
“A fertilised zygote is no more a person than an acorn is an oak tree.”
“I certainly respect your points, anonymous ... but not everybody believes the way you do that a three-celled zygote is akin to an infant.”
“Do you know of anyone who would seriously claim a zygote is not alive?”
“September 13th, 2008 at 11: 01 pm fifth monarchy man: Would a Spartan warrior feel slighted if he were to be killed for the good of the community? fifth monarchy man: Do you know of anyone who would seriously claim a zygote is not alive?”
“After a sperm and egg meet, the resulting cell is known as a zygote.”
“(And by the way, stop using the “individual DNA” stuff to try to define why a zygote is “a separate human life.””
“At fertilization, the egg and sperm cease to exist and an new entity called a zygote comes into being.”
“Furthermore, although the pope and his bishops may truly believe a zygote is a "preborn child," the truth is that a great number of active Catholics do not, and they vote, in great numbers, accordingly.”
“Modern genetics and biochemistry raise doubt about calling a zygote or blastocyst a human being.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘zygote’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
These are words I have overheard, or over-read, or had whispered in my ear :-)
Origin: Gk zygÅ-, var. s. of zygoÃ»n
relating to joining or pairing
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
My big word list.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Interesting words worth @ least 15 points.
These have some growing up to do.
Looking for tweets for zygote.