from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling milk.
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to any of numerous minute intestinal lymph-carrying vessels that convey chyle from the intestine to lymphatic circulation and thereby to the thoracic duct.
- n. Anatomy A lacteal vessel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to milk.
- adj. Relating to milk production.
- n. Lactiferous ducts or other components of milk-producing organs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, milk; milky.
- adj. Pertaining to, or containing, chyle.
- n. One of the lymphatic vessels which convey chyle from the small intestine through the mesenteric glands to the thoracic duct; a chyliferous vessel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or resembling milk; milky.
- Conveying a milk-like fluid; chyliferous: as, a lacteal vessel.
- n. In anatomy, one of numerous minute tubes which absorb or take up the chyle (a milk-like fluid) from the alimentary canal and convey it to the thoracic duct.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of the lymphatic vessels that convey chyle from the small intestine to the thoracic duct
- adj. relating to or consisting of or producing or resembling milk
From Latin lacteus, from lac, lact-, milk; see melg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)