from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Used to water.
- n. An act of watering.
- v. Present participle of water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from water, v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who waters, in any sense.
- n. Specifically The art or process of giving to the surface of anything a wave-like or veined appearance of somewhat ornamental effect; also, the marking so produced. Compare water, transitive verb, 3, and watered silk (under watered).
- n. A watering-place: as, “the wateryng of Seint Thomas” (better known as St.Thomas a Waterings)
- n. In flax-manuf., same as retting, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wetting with water
- n. shedding tears
Sorry, no etymologies found.
First, I object to their living those months of the year in which it is _contra bonos mores_ to be in London, not in their paternal mansions, but at those little bastardly abortions, which they call watering-places -- their
Critics point to banks 'recent success in watering down a proposal to create an independent financial regulator to oversee overdrafts, credit cards and other loans.
It kept on breathing, and I wanted very much to begin watering it again.
If GOP and WallStreet lobbyist succeed in watering down the financial reform or defeated it all together, we are bound for other financial crises in the near future!
They will succeed in watering down any bill that gets passed.
Mouth watering is exactly the right reaction Peter!!
•The planters on the east & west corners of the veranda have their own built-in watering systems.
Even though I had a heavy coat on and I actually wore my hat willingly for the first time ever, my eyes were watering from the chill.
And carefully Tradition will help in watering and keeping alive all sorts of heresy.
Fizo said ... howdy bilbs .. as usual mouth-watering is the word! yum-yum-yummylicious!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.