from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An unfavorable or damaging remark; slander: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty.
- n. The act of defaming or slandering.
- n. A sprinkling, especially with holy water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An attack on somebody's reputation or good name, often in the phrase to cast aspersions upon….
- n. A sprinkling of holy water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sprinkling, as with water or dust, in a literal sense.
- n. The spreading of calumniations reports or charges which tarnish reputation, like the bespattering of a body with foul water; calumny.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sprinkling, as of or with water.
- n. The making of calumnious reports, imputations, or charges; a derogatory assertion or criticism; calumny; censure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an abusive attack on a person's character or good name
- n. a disparaging remark
- n. the act of sprinkling water in baptism (rare)
From Latin aspersio ("sprinkling"). (Wiktionary)