American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Persia or Iran, or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Persia or Iran.
- n. Any of the western Iranian dialects or languages of ancient or medieval Persia and modern Iran.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Persia, in any of the various limitations of the name. An ancient region near the Persian Gulf, nearly corresponding to the modern Farsistan, and the nucleus of the Persian empire.
- Hence (from the luxury of the ancient Persians)
- Splendid; magnificent; luxurious; soft.
- Dama mesopotamica, related to the common fallow-deer.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of ancient or of modern Persia. The modern Persians are a mixed race, in part descended from the ancient Iranians.
- n. The language spoken in Persia, a member of the Iranian branch of the Aryan or Indo-European family of languages. Modern Persian dates from about a. d. 1000; older dialects are the Avestan or Zend. And the language of the Achæmenian cuneiform inscriptions.
- n. In architecture, a male figure draped in the ancient Persian manner, and serving in place of a column or pilaster to support an entablature. See atlantes and caryatid.
- n. A thin, soft, and fine silk used for linings and the like.
- n. A group of very similar languages spoken primarily in Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan.
- n. A member of the main ethnic group of Iran.
- n. A domestic cat breed.
- n. A pastry local to the Thunder Bay region in Canada often compared to either a cinnamon bun or a donut topped with pink icing.
- n. A breed of sheep prized for its lambs' wool.
- n. A thin silk fabric, formerly used for linings.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Persia.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Persian people.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Persian language.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Persia, to the Persians, or to their language.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Persia.
- n. The language spoken in Persia.
- n. A thin silk fabric, used formerly for linings.
- n. (Arch.) See Persian columns, under Persian, a.
- adj. of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture
- n. a native or inhabitant of Iran
- n. the language of Persia (Iran) in any of its ancient forms
- From Middle English percynne, from Middle French persien, from Italian persiano, from Medieval Latin Persiānus, blend of Latin Persia and Asiānus, from Ancient Greek Περσίς (Persís), from Old Persian 𐎱𐎠𐎼𐎿 (Pārsa, "Persia") (compare modern Persian پارس (Pārs)). (Wiktionary)
“Pluralization in Persian is rather uniform, while in Pashto it is far more irregular.”
“The term Persian, as applied both to the people and their language, has now a wider significance than it originally bore.”
“Shohreh Aghdashloo may have the sexiest movie voice since Lauren Bacall and Elizabeth Ashley: deep, insinuating, with what she refers to as a Persian accent that's heavy on the purr.”
“Indeed, this Persian is a right worthy Shaykh and the signs of virtue are manifest on him; Allah hath inclined his heart to me and he hath adopted me to son.”
“Ali the Persian is a rollicking tale of fun from some”
“The "old Royal Walnut" of the French is, of course, what we call Persian”
“I am told that a Persian is a very powerful rider, but that his "hand" is so desperately rough as to deprive the horse's mouth of nearly all sensation.”
“The point was knotty, but a Persian is a man of resource.”
“Doctor Shaw, who visited Egypt and the Barbary coast in the years 1727-8-9, in the margin of his map of Egypt, gives us the figure of what he calls a Persian wheel, which is a string of round cups or buckets hanging on a pully, over which they revolved, bringing up water from a well and delivering it into a trough above.”
“The words in Persian spell out one of the protesters 'slogans: “Don't be afraid we are all together””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Persian’.
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, purple, descriptive, randomness )
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
tiara's color lists rebuilt :)
( visual, colors, blue, descriptive, randomness )
tiara's color lists rebuilt. ;)
( visual, colors, green, descriptive, randomness )
American Bobtail, American Curl, American Longhair, American Shorthair, Abyssinian, Aegean cat, Australian Mist, American Polydactyl, American Wirehair, Arabian Mau, Asian (cat), Asian Semi-longhair and 82 more...
Meow! Roar! My favorite animals! words about cats.
if you're a cat freak like i am - then this is the list for you
This list includes domestic cat breeds and domestic/wild hybrids.
Abyssinian, Aegean, American Bobtail, American Curl, American Longhair, American Polydactyl, American Shorthair, American Wirehair, Asian, Asian Semi-longhair, Australian Mist, Balinese and 80 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for Persian.